Even though cold season should officially be over by now I’m still battling one and I have been for about two weeks now. So I thought it was about time to put an end to it. With a delicious overdose of vitamin C.
This is what I put together:
- lemon juice
Pineapple is a good source of vitamin C but it’s not in the mix just for his nutritional properties. Since most of the other ingredients are pretty sour, its sweetness balances the final flavor of the smoothie. Strawberries also contribute to a lion’s share of vitamin C as well as their deliciousness while oranges also bring folate and thiamin. Lemon juice brings the last extra boost of this precious anti-cold knight, but don’t overdo it since the taste can quickly get too intense and there’s an upper limit on the amount of vitamin C that the body can use anyway. While carrots also contain some vitamin C they mostly contribute to the dose of vitamins K and A.
A couple of extra tips:
- if you don’t have fresh pineapple, canned will also do
- if you don’t have fresh strawberries, frozen will also do
- but you know…fresh is always better 🙂
- grate the carrots before putting them in the blender
- if the smoothie is too thick for you, add pineapple or apple juice